Allan “Diesel” Duhm

Sex: Male
e-mail: aduhm1@me.com
Phone number: 863-838-6660

RIDING BACKROUND, AND HOW DID YOU GET INTO RECUMBENTS?

Started my "adult" riding career in 1986 on a beach shop beach cruiser. Moved to a steel Paramount in 88, then an aluminum Cannondale in 91, a Trek 2100 around 95, a replacement frame in 98, then a Trek Madone around 2002. My first century was in around 1992 and I progressed to doing about 12 centuries per year on my diamond frames. After neck surgery and fusion, I could no longer ride a diamond frame due to the pain. I tried out a friend’s recumbent but it was just too small to get a real feel for it. Shortly thereafter John Schlitter loaned me a large frame Corsa to try and that was it. I bought his used Ti Aero, rode it for two years and then made the commitment to the CA 2.0 and have never looked back. Wish I had found recumbents 10 years sooner!

WHAT BACCHETTA DO YOU RIDE?

CA 2.0 2010 (Big Blue)
CA 2.0 2012 (El Diablo the Skull Collector, because of it’s original paint job).
Had to have a back-up ride when I was initially a rider on Team Sarcoma so that’s the reason for the second bike. Huge thanks to LeRoy’s Bikeworks in Lakeland, FL for the great deal and making that back up bike possible. Sold my Ti to make that happen.

2010-2012 RACE RESULTS AND OTHER RACE/EVENT HISTORY

On my CA 2.0:
Big Sur 600K
12 and 24 hours of Sebring
170 century rides in the last 5 years.
Records include:
Sebring 12 hour recumbent 60-64 – 244.2 miles
Ultra-marathon Cycling Association Cross State 60-64, E to W 25 hours
2011 UltraCycling Cup Recumbent Champion 60-69
2011 World Cup of UltraCycling Recumbent Champion 60-69
2011 UltraCycling Cup 24 Hour Challenge Recumbent Champion 60-69

Rides of note include:
9 Assaults on Mt. Mitchell
8 Cross Florida rides on diamond frames.
Ultra-marathon Record Ride (Cross Florida – 400 miles) on my Ti Aero
Qualifying for RAAM in ’09 at the Sebring 24 hour qualifier
Cross Florida (short version – 155 miles)
Calvin’s 12-hour challenge.

Florida Senior Games 60-64 State Champion 5K and 10K, 2012 & 2013
Personal Best Rides: The Cross Florida 400 mile record ride, with 6 of my best friends crewing and officiating was probably the most satisfying because of getting to share it with friends, and very mentally challenging. Close behind that are the Bid Sur 600K for unmatched beauty majesty and challenge, and the Sebring RAAM qualifier 24 hour ride, awesome because of both the challenge and for the Bacchetta Family Camaraderie. The Claxton Century with my good friend Alex Miller was also a ton of fun in 2012.

PLANNED RACES AND EVENTS FOR 2013

2013 Sebring 24 Hour RAAM Qualifier (solo)

Defending my Florida Senior Games Titles

Cross Florida organized ride

Calvin’s Challenge

Another cross state record ride (state to be determined – maybe Florida, the other direction)

Having recently started my second new job in the past two years, vacation time has been hard to scrounge up so I’ve not planned too many other rides. I gave up vacation time for the last three years straight for the honor of crewing for RAW (Dan Fallon – on a Ti-Aero), RAAM Boomers (N. Guth and M. Florian Female 60+ diamond frame), and Team Sarcoma by Bacchetta (A. Miller, S. Petty, D. Lieberman, C. Kaiser on CA 2.0s). Everyone should experience RAAM via crewing if you can’t ride it!